Sunday, October 22, 2017

Adding Conscious to Consumption

The Information Diet: A Case for Conscious Consumption, provides an overwhelming amount of factors to consider when teaching students how to use information inside and outside of the classroom. The author uses a food analogy to make the reader consider how using information can be harmful. If we aren’t careful about what we eat, our bodies will suffer the consequences. The same thing can be said about information. In the case of food, multiple agricultural revolutions helped the world grow more food in a manner more efficient and cost effective than ever thought possible. In the case of information, the Internet and the services that come with the Internet (i.e. social media) made information more accessible than ever thought possible. One issue that is a natural consequence of the aforementioned efficiency is the fact that both unhealthy amounts of food and information are easily available to consumers. In fact, it is just as easy to inadvertently consume unhealthy food as it is to passively consume skewed information. Another consequence of this is the rise of postmodernism. Postmodern thinkers suggest that there is no truth in information; the truth is subjective. This is most certainly a factor that plays into the rise of “fake news” and “spin” that we see playing out on the political stage today. While The Information Diet can certainly be a cause for concern, I think that the message should remain optimistic. We now have access to an unprecedented amount of information. We should show our students how to use information and understand it responsibly.

It also seems like there are many possible pitfalls to consider when teaching students how to use information responsibly. In class last week, we were asked to identify twelve of these pitfalls. At their core, the pitfalls prevent students from accepting information from anywhere without verification. They also prevent students from becoming desensitized, and from relying on only one information source.

For my professional practice, I think that there are many lessons to be learned from The Information Diet. The Information Diet demonstrates the need for teaching students about Digital Citizenship. Last but not least, The Information Diet only reinforces the need for the PICKLE; in particular, problem solving and critical thinking skills are required for information using. I also think that there is an important flip side to the questions raised by information using. Teachers should also be asking themselves, “how can I make my students into responsible information producers?” After all, we also want students to be creators, and share information with others. Students also need to be taught to reflect on the entire process of information production and consumption. Above all, students require an increased awareness about the issues that surround our information consumption.

3 comments:

  1. With all of the information out there, I do agree that students need to be taught to reflect on the entire process of information production and consumption. I want to teach students to reflect on the sources of information they're using and to search/sort more effectively.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that students (and adults too) need to be called on issues that surround our information consumption. Information overload has become our norm and critical thinking skills are necessary to sorting and searching through all of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. After reading this book and analyze it from the teacher perspective I agree with you that the next step is to take this knowledge into our classroom. It is essential that our students become critical consumers of information, I am still exploring ways to get there and trying different strategies in the classroom. Now that I am aware of my consumption habits I want to help my students develop a healthy "diet."

    ReplyDelete