Wednesday, October 11, 2017

Educators Can’t Afford to Skip Affordance Analysis

It is all too easy to embrace a new piece of technology that is flashy and seems like it accomplishes a specific goal. It is the case, however, that the newest piece of technology is not always the best option in the well-designed classroom. In class, I was fooled by the Tangrams. I wanted to find a way to make the technology usable in the context that we were provided. Perhaps there is a way to make Tangrams a more enriching component in a well-designed lesson. Given the specific context that we were provided in class, Tangrams ended up being more like a worksheet than a tool that would truly help students get to the PICKLE.  Personally, I know that I like to be open to new technologies and innovations, but it is worth remembering that not every tool is appropriate for every environment. In addition to considering the place of the tool in the design, it is also worth considering some of the practical elements as well. What will it take for students to begin using this tool? Do they need to sign in? Do they require accounts that will need to be managed? What do I need to show them? Will there be any negative impacts in the classroom? The success of any given technology is not guaranteed in the classroom, but affordance analysis can help you to determine what will have the greatest chance of succeeding, and what will truly encourage students to get to the PICKLE.


I make many of the technology purchases for my school, and we are about to embark on a software review. I’m hoping that I can use affordance analysis as we determine which tools we would like to obtain, and the tools that we no longer need to keep. I also hope that I can help other staff members use the affordance analysis process, and see past the surface level of different technology tools. I also want them to see that affordance analysis is about seeing the possibilities. I also hope that I can help my colleagues match the learning goal with the appropriate piece of technology. Affordance analysis goes hand in hand with thoughtfully considering what the consequences of implementing a new technology will be. These are the things that I want my colleagues to consider as we expand our technology program.

5 comments:

  1. I was fooled by the Tangrams flashy technology, too. But I remember the discussion in our group and we really couldn't come up with a relevant use for it in the classroom Then time was up and we moved on to the ozbots. We were impressed with the colorful manipulatives and the function of the tool but we did not find a use for it in our classrooms. If given more time, eventually, we would have decided not to purchase them if it were a real situation for a decision.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's especially important for us since we're guiding teachers and facilitating the use of technology in classrooms. Also, if we're going to be putting money into technology, it's best that it go toward an initiative the county is supporting so that we can move kids forward in the right direction. Finding ed tech tools with high levels of positive affordance will provide students the chance to get to the PICKLE.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was fooled by the tangrams as well. I am on the technology committee. Our next meeting, I am presenting the article we read in class. After reflection, technologies we’ve purchased in the past weren’t always the best choice. An Affordance Analysis would have prevented this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. While we were playing with the Osmos, I was thinking how can I get one of these in my classroom. I was fooled too, but the affodance analysis will certainly help us make smarter decisions as designers. By introducing this to your technology team, I know you will help them see beyond the new technology flash.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is great that you get to use the affordance analysis process on a large scale and that you can share it with teachers at your school. I found that making my selection of tools a conscious process has had an impact in the way I perceive technology. I stop thinking of fitting new tools into my class but to take my objective and find a tool that can "afford" it.

    ReplyDelete