Sunday, November 12, 2017

Putting the “Smart” in Net Smart

For educators, teaching the concept of being Smart online is crucial. From an early age, students have technology in their hands. Just because they have the technology does not mean that they are using it wisely. This concept is similar to what learners need to expect when they search for information online. Net Smart, How to Thrive Online refers a little more to online presence (although there is a section on crap detection). The book is helpful in that it details the specific forms of participation that exist online. I think that what is more important about this book is the fact that it starts the conversation about online presence, and raises larger questions about online presence in schools. How should students learn about the notion of online presence? How should one conduct oneself online? How can students learn to be safe online? Rheingold suggests that one should find a community online and participate, but educators should structure that experience for students so that they can learn the pros and cons of online presence before being released into the “wild”.

I find that students don’t always know how to conduct themselves online. They generally know how to use their favorite tools (Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat etc.), but they don’t know how to use different tools, and more importantly, don’t comprehend the dangers. In addition to finding bad information, students also need to be aware of belligerent individuals, hackers, scams and illegal activity. They also need to be aware of the fact that nothing online is private. Computers and digital technology were not built with privacy in mind; these tools were built for collaboration. With this in mind, students should be taught to use the collaborative tools while remaining safe online. From there, students can gradually become used to the etiquette associated with the various methods of online content creation. Learning how to be “Net Smart” is also a continual process. I find that I am still learning how to use all of the tools afforded by the Internet. I am interested in learning how to make online learning more of an effective experience. Above all, I have noticed one thread that unifies all of the topics that we have covered. In the digital age, it is necessary to be thoughtful and reflective when using modern technologies. Using any technology (especially the Internet) without thinking about it can lead to unwanted consequences. As educators, we also want our students to be successful with technology so that these skills can follow them to the workplace.

5 comments:

  1. I agree with you that reminding others that nothing online is private is so important. Even adults need to be reminded of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's true that students don't always know how to conduct themselves online. Yes, they generally know how to use their favorite tools, but I find that they sometimes become too comfortable with these resources. I make time to introduce students to reliable tools within our LCPS Go app so that they can understand what's out there and so they can use diverse sources instead of what they're most used to using for research (for example). They always seem to rely on the same old tools...

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is all about the novelty of the new apps, and often kids (and parents) don't even know the dangers. Your ideas about thoughtfulness and reflection will certainly help combat this as the times and tools change.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It seems like society takes a while to decide appropriate social behavior when a new tool is introduced. It reminds me of the way people used and talked about the telegraph in The Victorian Internet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also feel that I am still learning how to navigate in the digital world while being a productive member of it. Everytime that we read or discuss something in class I tried to evaluate my habits and review my own interaction with these tools. In this book attention was an essential element that I am currently working on. As I discover these ways for myself, I am getting closer to be a helpful role model for my students.

    ReplyDelete