Meaningful Learning, Vygotsky and the Fourth Design Principle provide more useful frameworks for teachers to consider when attempting to design meaningful learning. Vygotsky presents educators with the Zone of Proximal Development. The Zone of Proximal Development is basically the stage of development where students acquire a necessary set of tools. It is in this stage that the tools are perfected, and the coaching and modeling undertaken by the teacher begin to fade away. Additionally, students must engage in playful learning and authentic activities to cement their understanding of a certain set of tools. The important takeaway here is that the teacher is responsible for bringing students to the Zone of Proximal Development, and then helping them to reach the other side. The teacher needs to provide authentic activity to make sure that students have passed through the Zone of Proximal Development. The teacher must also diminish his/her involvement over time to ensure that the process is most beneficial for students.
This concept fits in well with the overall idea of a designed classroom. More specifically, Vygotsky and the Fourth Design Principle provide a way of understanding the role of content and student development in the designed classroom. It also provides a guide for teacher action within the classroom. Authentic activities as well as the final product should be the focus of the well designed classroom. Teacher centered activities should be kept to a minimum, and the learner should be able to make some decisions about the pace and flow of the learning. It is also the job of the teacher to identify ways to bring students to the Zone of Proximal Development, and help the students reach the other side.
In my own personal practice, there are several ideas that can instantly implemented. In my role, I need to encourage teachers to embrace a new way of thinking- the design mentality. Specifically, this implies that I am encouraging them to consider incorporating authentic activities, and to think carefully about teacher centered activities that occur in the classroom. As always, there are practical questions when attempting to use a theory like Vygotsky in the classroom environment. There is probably more to learn about strategies to help learners who are struggling to reach the Zone of Proximal Development, and other strategies for helping students who are struggling in the designed classroom. How should teachers approach learners who are at a differing levels? How can teachers accommodate students who are struggling in the designed classroom? How does a teacher design for a diverse environment? What is the role of differentiated instruction within the classroom design? What if there are learners that have deficiencies in their knowledge? What is the impact of this on a collaborative group effort? This set of questions represents the challenges that teachers face in the classroom, but if experience has served me correctly, I think that the design process will account for these practical issues as well.
As I read your post, I am wondering if I have a misconception of ZPD. Specifically, when you refer to strategies to help learners who are struglling to reach the ZPD. I thought that each learner had their own ZPD and we as educators need to identify what each learner's ZPD is. I think I need to understand this concept more.
ReplyDeleteThe most successful learning occurs when children are guided by adults towards learning things that they could not attempt on their own. As Vygotsky states, “Through others, we become ourselves.” I want to also facilitate while being the "sage on the side", blending lecture with play.
ReplyDeleteI think each student needs their own time to work through the "model, coach, and fade" phases. Some may see it once and be ready to try to work through it on their own and others may need more experiences and more supports. I think by critically identifying what your students need will help you think of where they are or need to be withing the ZPD.
ReplyDeleteAs I read your reflection, I realized that the principles of good designed have challenged my traditional teaching ways, Although I was trying to implement innovative lessons I wasn't taking into account all the different elements that guide good design. I am still trying to figure out some of the aspects that you mentioned, like identifying ways to bring students to the Zone of Proximal Development and creating authentic activities to help the students reach the other side. Working on the design document helped me take the principles into practice, hopefully as I start designing all my lessons the principles will become a natural part of my teaching structure.
ReplyDeleteI agree that teachers need to embrace the design mentality. As we progress through each week I start to see the bigger picture of design. When I plan I am trying to incorporate these principles. I think it will take time for teachers to adopt the design model as practice 100 percent of the time. I still find myself falling into a routine of that teacher centered learning.
ReplyDelete