Reflecting on the role of an educator in society can be a truly daunting task. To an extent, society is reliant on educators to provide the citizens of tomorrow with the skills to be productive members of society. The Saber-Tooth Curriculum suggests that this is certainly the case. An inefficient education system yields citizens who are unable to solve the even the most elementary problems. Thus arises the debate, what should be taught in schools? There is, however, an even better way to think about this question. How do we design to ensure that students become productive citizens later? How can learning be linked with daily living? How can society maximize this potential? This past weekend, I attended the Washington Redskins and Philadelphia Eagles (Fly Eagles Fly!) football game and associated tailgate. I was actually consuming a pickle when the following thought crossed my mind: Just as a great sandwich at a needs pickles to maximize its goodness, students need the pickle to maximize their productivity in society.
Clearly, the concept of linking living and learning is not always the highest priority in modern schools. The notion does cause one to ponder the following question: why do we teach what we teach? Do teachers teach specific pieces of content because they are forced to do so? Do teachers have a specific intention in mind when designing for their classrooms? Does the design provide students with something useful for the future? Sometimes, it becomes all too easy to fall into the trap of the elders, and drill students on skills that may or may not serve them in their next year of schooling, or life in general.
This complacency observed in the Saber-Tooth Curriculum should make educators consider if what they are teaching is meeting the needs of their students and of society. Society should not be pushed to the extremes noted in the Saber-Tooth Curriculum. Finding the balance between content and design is an important skill for teachers to master. There are several concrete examples of finding the balance between content and design that immediately come to mind. Social studies teachers (particularly those who teach U.S. History) typically teach a unit on The Constitution of the United States. Obviously, it isn’t necessary to remember the exact language of every single amendment. While it may be entertaining to remember that the 18th and 21st Amendments cancel each other out, this does not provide students with the opportunity to get the pickle. The Constitution is a living document that we should not expect to memorize; rather, students should learn how to read the document critically. My example of the Constitution presents a perfect opportunity for teachers to help their students each get a pickle. Designing around the Constitution presents opportunities to read critically, gather information, problem solve, and observe how others solved problems. One reason that I love studying the Constitution with students is that students can actually see how the founding fathers solved problems that were prevalent after The American Revolution. When students realize they are engaging with the founding fathers, they generally enjoy the experience more. Also, just as eating a pickle is an enjoyable experience, leading students to the pickle should be an enjoyable experience for all.
It makes sense when you say, "society is reliant on educators to provide the citizens of tomorrow with the skills to be productive members of society." But in reality, the elementary educators that I know in VA, have been burdened with so much pressure to teach the SOLs that this fundamental concept of education is lost. How does it get this way? It happened in Saber-Tooth Curriculum and it has happened in our education system. Our teaching and learning is so far away from what our students need to be productive members of our society. I'm optimistic that my district is currently recognizing what our students need and have a Vision that incorporates aspects of PICKLE and the relationship of living and learning. The future is looking bright and as you said, "leading studetns to the pickle should be an enjoyable experience for all."
ReplyDeleteI do agree that sometimes you have to take a step back and ask, "Why do I teach what I teach?" "How can I make this relevant for my students TODAY?" If I'm teaching about oceans, what problems are the world's oceans experiencing TODAY that I can blend into a PBL project that incorporates the SOL's of continental shelf, ocean food chains, currents, etc...? When I attended PBL training this past summer, it was nice to remember that the projects students are doing in class to enrich their learning shouldn't be the "dessert" but more of the "main course".
ReplyDeleteI think that you are spot on, Logan. I’m happy that you mentioned PBL- I think that more emphasis should be on the project as the end product rather than an assessment. At my school, I think that we need to embrace this idea more- the issue is that we have a unique set of challenges that tend to eat a significant amount of teacher energy. It would be nice if we restructured our thinking and our gradebooks to reflect this.
DeleteYour example of the constitution is great. What is the purpose of studying the constitution? Students need to understand its meaning and the way it has shaped our society. I think educators get caught up in specifics such as dates. They fail establish cognitive tools and don’t connect the dots in a linear succession of events.
ReplyDeleteThe statement you make about how “the concept of linking living and learning is not always the highest priority in modern schools” does lead to relevant questions, Starting with a why? How come schools are not worried about preparing their students for life? But if this is the so what I think we should be ready for the now what and an activity like the Constitution one makes for a clear example of how we can use the content as a means to lead our students to the PICKLE and regain the conception of educating for life.
ReplyDeleteYour example made me think about linking living and a love for learning. By connecting history to your students, they become invested. We are all trying to engage our students, light a spark that never fades, and make connections that foster a love for learning that lasts a lifetime.
ReplyDelete